Sunday, August 22, 2010

Max, the king of Kindergarten

Max just went to bed. (by 9:30! High fives everybody!) He is SO excited to start school tomorrow that he got ready for bed the first time I asked him.

He even took a bath!
Woo Hoo!!!

However, he is really worried about something.

Yesterday I asked him if he was excited for school to start, and he showed me how excited he was by smiling as big as his face would let him.

Then I gave him the news that caused him to worry.

"Max, I think you're going to miss me while you're at school."

He rolled his eyes.

"In fact, I think you're going to miss me so much that I should probably just come with you."

He shook his head "No Mom, the only grown ups there will be the teachers."

"Oh, I'm sure they won't mind, I'll be very quiet."

"No Mom, there won't be enough chairs there. You won't have a place to sit."

I thought for a moment then said "I know! I can sit on your chair, and you can sit on my lap!"

"No Mom, the chairs are too little!"

"OK, then maybe I can bring one of our folding chairs and just sit next to you."

"NO MOM! You can't come to school with me!"

"Max, I really think that you're going to miss me too much. I need to come with you."

Then he says "You should just drive me to school and drop me off at the front doors with the kids and I will walk in by myself!"

"I don't know," I said "What if I drive you to school, drop you off at the front doors, then park in the parking lot and walk in the school?"

Then he got a little testy.

"Look mom, HERE'S THE DEAL! You will drive me to the school and DROP ME OFF at the front doors, then you will GO HOME!!"

While he was saying this, he waved his arms around kind of like one of those guys who directs the airplanes to the gates. All he needed was the big flashlights. I might have snickered a bit, because really, it was funny.

Then he says "Look, I'm SERIOUS, see, I'm wearing my SERIOUS FACE!"

And he was indeed wearing his serious face, although in my opinion, it looked a little bit more like his "I just smelled something bad face"

"Hmmm" I said "So exactly what do you think I should do when I get home? I'll be there all by myself."
Max told me that I should get some work done.

"No, I think I should probably take a nap."

"Mom!" he said with a big sigh, obviously trying to hide his exasperation "You can't go back to sleep after you drop us off, because then you will just dream about missing me."

So then I asked him if it would be OK if I just stood outside and watched him through the window of his classroom.

He shook his head and walked away.


That kid is seriously going to miss me.


16 comments:

Karen said...

Poor Kid! He's going to be peering around every corner and looking over his shoulder all day wondering when you're going to show up!

Kristina P. said...

I often forget you are talking to a five year old. You are going to love him when he's 15.

Bonnie the Boss said...

You both are adorable. I can't wait to hear how it goes!!

Jessica said...

I guess he won't be one of those kids crying on their first day. He's going to shoo you away as quickly as possible. I hope it all goes well!

Jessica G. said...

You are the world's best mother! I loved this...seriously one of my favorite Max posts.

LisAway said...

Going on and on like that, Max is obviously foresees some serious separation anxiety. Good thing you aren't showing any signs that you might miss that boy. ;)

Stacy Q said...

Bwaaaah a ha ha hah a ha ha ha ah!

Max sounds wonderful... and he probably would be very comforted seeing you standing outside looking in the windows...

Brilliant!

Unknown said...

Yea for kindergarten :) If I offered that to my girl should would have been "okay, let's go to school together!"

Alison Wonderland said...

Somehow I think you'll be able to find someway to keep yourself occupied without him.

mCat said...

So funny! I can't wait to see what stories his teacher has to share with you at the first PTConferece!

rocslinger said...

So funny, I need some ideas for my blog, can I borrow Max?

M said...

so Mom, how'd you do? My "baby" started first grade. Her new school wouldn't even let me walk her into her classroom but made me say goodbye at the gate. I tried really hard (successfully!) not to cry as she was a bit anxious too. I'm quite ready for all three of them to come home now.

Teachinfourth said...

Okay, this is probably one of the most touching posts I've ever read.

I hope you didn't embarrass him...

Anonymous said...

My son's school had a CRY event for us parents. So I put him on the bus and then drove to school and stood there as he got off the bus. He looked at me and just shook his head. I asked him if I could walk him to his class. No mom, I can do it myself. So I let him go, went to the CRY event and cried. (He's been 5 for all of 5 days.) On his third day of school, he's still eager to go. Yeah!

Cynedra

PS He was so excited he got sick to his stomach before he left for school on Monday.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Haha hahahah That is so cute. Because I know you I can hear this whole conversation in my head.

You really should write this as a children's book. I totally imagined it that way as I was reading it.

So cute that Max is in Kindeegarten. So how did it go?

Sarah said...

Oh my, that was so cute! You are adorable. When my son was five he was my best friend in the world. In fact, one time I was talking to my sis on the phone and my boy was making me laugh and she got mad and said, "I'll let you go play with your little best friend." She was a little ticked, but I thought it was hilar. I hope he has a great year. (you too!)