Monday, October 11, 2010

The day the music died

Last week we were cleaning out the toybox and found an old friend.

It was a musical stuffed animal that my mom bought for CJ when he was a baby. He was the first grandchild, so all he had to do was look in the direction of the stuffed animal on the shelf at the store, and grandma had to buy it for him.


Max hadn't seen this toy for a long time and really enjoyed pressing on it's paw so that its cheeks would light up in time with the electronic chirps, clicks and beeps playing two different Easter songs.

He played with this toy for hours.


At one point, the music became slow and distorted. We were delighted with the thought that the batteries might be running out, but alas, the stupid toy came back to life.

Max named his new friend "Music Bear"




Yes, I am perfectly aware that this stuffed animal is not a bear, but is indeed a rabbit. We pointed this out to Max, to whom it hadn't even considered the possibility that "Music bear" was not a bear.

He was actually quite offended when we revealed this bit of information to him.


Max continued to refer to the rabbit as "Music Bear" but then finally saw the light, and changed his name to "Music Bunny Bear"

(we may or may not have teased him A BIT about calling the rabbit a bear)



Then a few days ago, (after a strangely quiet afternoon) I saw Max's Elmo blanket laying in the middle of the floor with a lump under it. I asked Max to please put his blanket away before someone tripped on it.



He said "I can't, Music Bunny Bear is under the blanket. He died and I had to bury him"


So now we seem to be stuck with a dead musical stuffed animal "buried" in our family room. The biggest problem is that it's right in front of the TV where everyone walks. In fact, if you accidentally step on the lump, Music Bunny Bear seems to come back to life and you can see the faint glow of the red lights inside of his cheeks light up to the muffled sound of his music.



Then we get to deal with Max the Mortician yelling at us to stay off of Music Bunny Bear.





I do find it quite amusing that he buried the bunny under the blanket where Elmo is laughing. Do you think his choice has anything to do with the time I did this?

15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I think laughing Elmos and dead bunny bears seems to go nicely with your decor.

Jessica G. said...

Max needs to be his own character in a book series. He's way better than Junie B. Jones.

Annette Lyon said...

Good luck disposing of Bunny Bear. Poor Max (said while giggling).

Julie said...

I burst out laughing when I read that last line.

M said...

Perhaps he's remembering the garden of dead people; perhaps he is also thinking that more musical bunny bears will grow.

M said...

And I totally agree with Jessica G. Get right on that will ya Jillybean?

Karen said...

Perhaps Dead Bunny Bear needs to be buried in the yard?

Stacy Q said...

I think it extremely competent of your one little guy to take upon himself the roles of mortician, grave digger, and funeral parlor manager.

mCat said...

Maybe the music bear could disappear and you could have a lesson on the Spirit World!

val of the south said...

That blanket is clearly mocking you!
Karma...

mommeeof10 said...

If Max likes the toy and you do not detest it, I would try to get a replacement on ebay. Otherwise, have a funeral and bury it in the yard. It works for pets. :)

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Max is seriously funny! Never a dull moment in your house, I can tell.

Joanna said...

OMG Max cracks me up! I laughed so hard as I was reading this.

Oh, and PS - Naughty bird has paid many a visit to our house. Don't know why. I didn't tell the Munchkin about naughty bird, but he's been here. Would you like to invite him back to your house? please? haha

rocslinger said...

Maybe you teach Max about zoning laws?

stewbert said...

okay, the dead bunny bear is funny, but the elmo fairy and his response made me nearly pee my pants laughing.