Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cub Scout cookies and other random stuff

This week was Talent night for the Cub Scouts. We tried to think of a talent that Aaron could display at pack meeting.

Our ideas were:

1. A window washing demonstration.
This wasn't really an option, because the meeting was being held in the gym, where there aren't any windows.
2. Taping a pen to the end of his trombone, and having him draw a picture while playing a musical selection.
Aaron has only been playing the trombone for a month. We decided that this might be a bit above his current skill level. (however, he is doing very well with the trombone! Maybe next time)

We finally concluded that his best talent was cooking. The plan was for him to make dinner then take a picture of it and put it on a poster.
The night before Pack meeting Aaron made spaghetti with homemade sauce. (he's only 9, yes, he is amazing) Unfortunately, by the time we remembered to take pictures, dinner was over, all of the spaghetti was gone and all that was left was the dirty dishes.

Instead of pictures of dinner, Aaron decided to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies and bring enough for everyone to have one.

I'm pretty sure that Aaron's talent was everyone's favorite.

*******************************

In other news, Max has started speaking with a southern accent, and we have no idea why. It's just weird. Cute, but weird.

******************************

Monday, after the freak snowstorm that dumped an inch of snow in our yard, Max dumped a bag of cotton balls on his bedroom floor, so the inside would match the outside.

******************************

Friday, Brielle made the observation that me and Max are the only ones in the family without a bicycle. (Max does have a tricycle, however, he is 5 and is getting too big for it)
The next day, Max climbed into my lap and said "Mom, I love you SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH!"
I gave him a squeeze and said "I love you too!" Then holds my face in his little hands, looks into my eyes and says "And I really think we should get bikes."

******************************

Tonight took Brielle for a girl's night out. When Max found out that we were leaving, he wanted to come with. As we were leaving I explained that he couldn't come because it was just for girls. Then he wrapped his arms around my leg and says "I DON'T WANT FOR YOU TO MISS ME! TAKE ME WITH! I DON'T WANT FOR YOU TO MISS ME!"

*******************************

I'm really beginning to think that someone should invent self cleaning kitchen floors.

*******************************

When we were at my mom's house last weekend, I pulled out some of her photo albums from when I was a teenager. I showed them pictures of me and said "Look! See how skinny I was, here's photographic evidence that I used to be thin."
Then Aaron says "Who said you were fat?"

Aaron is currently my favorite child.

********************************

It's quite late right now. I'm beginning to think that the Diet Coke that I drank at 10:00 tonight was probably a bad idea...................



14 comments:

Karen said...

It's sometimes hard to translate a child's talent into something they can demonstrate for others. One year, my daughter sang all the states in alphabetical order.

Jules AF said...

I support his speaking in a southern accent.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Please tell me, after that cute plea you are getting bikes!

WV-Stedl. Thats southern for Peddle. As in peddle that bike!

just call me jo said...

So funny that you ate the spaghetti before taking pictures. Now that's something I would do. Get that kid a bike. Enjoy those great children while they are home.

tiburon said...

My niece speaks with a New York accent and she has never been there.

I likey

Mae Rae said...

Aaron would be my favorite child after that too.

did you get the bikes. My 9 year old does not want one and even though we have been trying for a few years to teach him to ride, he thinks that it is not a necessity for him.

Good luck with the pleading.

Kristina P. said...

I sometimes speak in a British accent, a la Seinfeld.

mCat said...

Love the random and I want audio of Max speaking southern. That is AWE.SOME!!

Joanna said...

My cousin went through a phase where she purposely spoke with a lisp It lasted months. I bet the Southern accent is a lot cuter.

Barbaloot said...

The mix of "scout" and "cookies" is making it near impossible for me to think of anything other than Samoas right now. Is it that season, yet?

Cheeseboy said...

Sounds like it would have been my favorite talent too. Much better than a stupid poster.

rocslinger said...

It's kinda scary when your kids pick up your manorisms....ala, placing your head in his hands.

M said...

Can I adopt Aaron? My children tell me things like, "You have a fat belly like Santa Claus."

marythemom said...

I pick up other people's accents and speech mannerisms so easily that I'm always afraid someone will get mad at me for mocking them. I thought it was just accents until I talked to a woman who was manic and within minutes I was manic too (I'm bipolar, but on meds for it).

Can I borrow Aaron?! I need a pick-me-up. A woman on TV was turning 40 (I'm 40) and I said something about looking younger than her (I have no wrinkles yet). All 4 of my about to be disowned kids said no, she looks younger. I'm assuming it's because I've gone prematurely gray, not because they are actually right.

Mary in TX