Thursday, December 20, 2007

Purple Christmas Cookies

Monday was the first chance I had to do any Christmas shopping. I am happy to report that after several days of "Power shopping" I am nearly finished.
For some reason, no matter where or when I start my Christmas shopping, I always end up at the same place.
Wal Mart at 1:30 a.m. Wandering around with a glazed look over my face, wondering what in the heck I am doing at Wal mart at 1:30 a.m.
I was in the toy department and found several strange things.
A play tatoo kit. It has a pen type thing that vibrates just like a real tatoo needle. It uses washable markers.
A 'three fingered ring' which looked suspiciously like brass knuckles.
And my personal favorite, the 'Alien in a test tube' kit. It comes complete with alien food.
I am not making these things up!
I have a question. Why do people bring their small children shopping at Wal mart in the middle of the night? WHY??????
Now if you are wondering why I don't shop earlier in the day, it is because my children are in year round school, and they have the ENTIRE MONTH of December off and I try NOT take 4 children shopping with me if at all possible.

Things I don't like about the kids being out of school:
#1. They don't always get along with each other as well as I would like them to.
#2. See #1
There are some things I DO like about them being off school.
#1. I get to sleep in :)
#2. No homework or school projects to worry about.
#3. We can do fun Christmas type things.
Yesterday, my cousin and her two kids came over for our annual cookie making activity. (O.K. It's only the second year we have done this, but I think it will be a yearly tradition from now on)



MMMMMMM don't they look delicious! These are the colors you get when you let 9 and 10 year old girls color the frosting.
The kids really had a good time. This was Max's first time making cookies, and he loved it. We gave him a wad of dough, a rolling pin and some cookie cutters, and this kept him occupied for the better part of an hour. For some reason, he thought that he needed to roll the rolling pin over the cookie cutter to make it work.


You should have seen his face when he discovered that he could eat the dough.

As with any fun project, there comes the mess. Believe it or not, I took this picture after we had already cleaned up quite a bit of it.
I'm not sure what the magnet is doing on the counter. I'm pretty sure we didn't use it for the cookies.
Here's a useful bit of information. Did you know that if you take a magnet and put it on your television screen, you will see a bunch of pretty rainbow colors around the screen? Slide the magnet around and the pretty colors will follow in a pretty pattern.
Did you also know that if you do this enough times, the pretty colors never go away?
Seriously, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! One of our T.V.'s seems to have recovered from this experiment, however, the other is a lost cause.
We make the children use that one.

The A.Q.O.D. (Aaron quote of the day)
"Mom, do we belong to your side of the family, or Dad's?"

Jill

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Yay Jill-you posted-looks like a fun day. Thanks for the comments you leave for me. I hope you are not freezing too much. I was talking to my sister as the huge storm was blowing in off the lake yesterday! (she lives in NSL)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

One of my serious goals every year is to avoid Walmart and KMart at all costs from Thanksgiving until New Year's Day. I am pleased to report that I will reach this goal this year.

And those cookies look so good. Frosted cookies are one of my faves, but not something I do very often. Or ever, for that matter.

Heidi said...

I cannot tell you how many times I look around in WalMart at 10:00 at night and think, "That poor two-year old should be in bed. So should that poor four-year old." It goes on and on and on. Am I the only one whose kids have a bedtime?

shay said...

I stumbled across you blog and am laughing to myself. I'm not sure if mysery loves company but I also have 4 kids so I relate to the shopping at 1:30 am thing. I had to take the younger two with me this week and i'm somewhat less then fun today as a result.

Unknown said...

We are soing cookies tonight. We will see if out mess is as big as your mess. (I hope not!)

Christina

Damama T said...

The ONLY time I like Wal-Mart is in the middle of the night. And I agree with the comments about kids there at odd times. WHY??? And then the parents are yelling at them to stop crying??? It really chaps my backside!

Cute cookies. Looks like you guys had a blast.