Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Max the future architect?

Max is an interesting kid. (probably an understatement)

Wherever we go, he observes everything closely, and then when he gets home, he builds whatever he saw with his Duplo blocks.

You wouldn't think that Duplo blocks would be that versatile, but I have to tell you, it's amazing what that kid can build with those brightly colored, chunky blocks.

Take last week for example, in the last 7 days, he has built the following.

1. A very accurate model of his school, he even included the playground. (He built this so his pet imaginary birds would have a place to go to school, unfortunately, naughty bird wasn't in the mood for school, and knocked it over)

2. A model of the ice skating rink, complete with bleachers and a garage for the zamboni. He built this in the very center of his room and instructed us not to step in the middle because the ice was very slippery and we might fall.

3. The high school football field, including both the bleachers where we sat at the first of the game,* and the ones we moved to after we decided that we didn't like sitting in the visiting team's section due to the fact that we were the only ones cheering when our team made a touchdown. (one of MANY touchdowns I might add)
He did not, however, build any cheerleaders, which surprised me slightly, because they were jumping around right in front of us the whole first half. This however is the subject of a post that I was going to write, but have decided against, due to the fact that I might offend someone who knows the exceedingly cheerful cheerleader (from the visiting team) that I was itching to mock.

4. The big inflatable slides from the company picnic.
He built a remarkable likeness of these slides. When he went to bed that night, I noticed that he had knocked them down. A while after he got up the next morning, he had me come into his room to see the slides. Apparently, he had taken the air out of them before he went to bed because it was night and nobody would be using them, but now that it was day, he had put the air back in them. Sure enough, he had rebuilt (reinflated) the slides.

5. The Bingham Copper mine.
We took a family field trip to see the mine. It's the largest open pit mine in the world, and can be seen from space.
When Brielle heard that we were going to the mine, her first comment was "I don't think that Max has enough blocks for that one."
Sure enough, when we got home, Max headed straight to his room and built his rendition of the mine.

6. The new SUPER car wash we took the car through to after visiting the mine.
There are few things in life that Max enjoys more than going through a car wash, and this one didn't disappoint. It's the kind that has multiple brushes and waxes and foam, and then to top it off, UNLIMITED time for the vacuum.
He built a copy of the car wash, and cleaned many of his toy cars.

7. On labor day, we took the kids to a local burger joint downtown, then made a trip to the cemetery to visit some family grave sites.
Today I could hear Max building something with his blocks so I went in to see what he was doing. He had made neat little rows of blocks, some in small towers, and some taller towers.

"Look Mom" he said "I made a garden of for dead people!"




* I don't really like football, we actually went to see the marching band at halftime, because CJ is in the band, and because they are awesome.

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Max is adorable. I think he should build me a fancy new house.

Karen said...

I am always stunned at the imagination of children. I'm glad you let him go to down and express the unbelievable amount of imagination in that child's head!

just call me jo said...

That Max is a doozy! I love his weird little mind. (and I mean that in the nicest weird not the weirdest weird...)

M said...

I love a cemetery being described as a "garden for dead people." It almost makes me want to buried as opposed to cremation.

Almost.

Jessica G. said...

Max needs to be is own character in a tv show. Or a made-for-tv movie.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Oh, my goodness, my boys did this with Duplos also! They could make anything with Duplos so well, you would know exactly what it was without being told. I remember once walking into the playroom and yelling, "How the heck did you make an aircraft carrier?!"

Rachel Sue said...

we should go to football games together. I would mock cheerleaders with you!

Teachinfourth said...

Love that last line!

One day, he'll be supporting the whole family. Capitalize on that.

Alison Wonderland said...

Sometimes max makes me feel like my kids are a little inadequate.

mCat said...

Maybe you should start a segment and post photos of Max's creations!

What a great kid

rocslinger said...

"Max is an interesting kid." Understament of the year.

I have always thought that it would be cool to have cars made out of life size legos. Just think, if you had body damage you could snap in another block.

If Max wants to capitalize on that idea, by all means, he's just the person to do it.

Omgirl said...

That is awesome. I love a kid with a good visual/spacial mind. I do NOT have one. I have trouble fitting a square box through a doorway! I hpe he grows up to be some super famous architect.

Stacy Q said...

I have a fast-forward vision of your son as an adult unveiling his design of the new library, museum, what-have-you, by whipping a big white sheet off of - a Duplo model!